Search This Blog

Friday, November 24, 2023

Canadian Senior Cut Grocery Bills By Growing Food - Can You?

How Can Canadian Seniors Save Money Growing Their Groceries?

Many Canadian Seniors grow a wide variety of house plants inside their homes, now more and more are making the shift to Growing food indoors to help cut grocery bills. Growing a few plants on a windowsill or in pots under fluorescent lights might not be enough to replace the foods you need to purchase at a grocery store, but having your own store of "grow" ceries could take a bit of a pinch out of a budget.
This post has a video showing my attempt at growing beet tops inside. 
Are you growing groceries inside?
What have you tried growing indoors and how well did it work for you?

Note: This blog has referral links that help our writers eat when you make purchases through them. Would you like to write on Canadian Senior Savings? Guest Bloggers are welcome. Please drop a note in the comments below.
Ad Best Tasting Mushroom Coffee Free shipping Over $39
Best Tasting Mushroom Coffee


Growing Beet Micro Greens -Two Ways

I purchased a microgreens beet kit from the grocery store for CAD 2.88 and a bag of beets for the same price. 
Beets in pots in a plastic clear tin with soil each beat hss  few strong bright green leaves. Spindly beet seedlings in a microgreens seed kit
Two Indoor Beet Green Gardens
I tried my best to follow the instructions on the microgreen kit, but I had to quit growing the beet microgreens in it because the kit got mouldy on the bottom. 
On the other hand, most of the beets in my bag of beets grew leaves that I was able to cut off and add to my meals to help increase my nutritional intake. I have now harvested beet tops twice from my beets. 
However, if you wanted to have enough baby beet greens to make a salad or side dish you would probably need at least 2 big bags of beets. 
Here is the video that I posted on Rumble.






About This Author

Sister Su is grateful to God for keeping her alive. She is a Trent/Queen's Concurrent Education graduate with over 20 years of teaching experience. She writes on several blogs, has a YouTube channel and is most easily reached through Twitter @Sister_Su See her link tree for more details:@Sister_Su | Linktree

This post was proofread with the free version of Grammarly
(I will get a small commission.)

No comments:

See Your Ad Here!

Do you see this? Your potential customers will see it too! Leave a confidential comment on any post and find out how reasonable our ad rates are.